When my wife and I set out to RV through all of the Lower 48, we had virtually no idea what we were doing, or what products and accessories to buy. We just wanted to hit the open road and let life happen! It was a grand experiment in a Grand Design.
Six years, 48 States, tens of thousands of miles and 2 RVs later, we are still madly in love with RVing, and grow more fond of the lifestyle every day.
On a particularly long and flat day of driving through Nebraska recently, I was thinking about everything we’ve learned over the years that has made our modern-day RV adventures so much easier and more pleasurable than when we started out. Among the many invaluable intangibles (friends, experiences, favorite Harvest Hosts locations), there are also plenty of products that have added to the experience. Sometimes things can provide happiness! Here is our list of RV must-haves. (Note: We are NOT sponsored by, nor making any affiliate commissions from any of these links—we just genuinely like the products.)
- Why we like it: A very small price for peace of mind. It’s nice knowing that everything is being recorded in the case of a crash or an alien sighting. If you are in a collision, the camera detects and automatically saves the footage. Otherwise, it records on a continuous loop, re-writing older footage once the SD card gets full.
- Recommended Dash Cam (this was actually Amazon’s top recommendation and we agree): AUKEY Dash Cam, 1080P Dashboard Camera Recorder, 6-Lane 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens, Supercapacitor, G-Sensor and Clear Nighttime Recording
- Price: $69.99 (with 978 positive reviews on Amazon!)
- Champion 3500-Watt Remote-Start Inverter (Generator)
- Why we like it: Let’s admit it, sometimes it is too darn hot to enjoy a Harvest Hosts location in the summer without AC. This genny provides enough power to run practically any RV AC, and most importantly, it does it quietly: Making only 59dB noise! This puppy can run for up to 7.5 hours on one fill up of 1.6 gallons. And it comes with a remote control, so you can start and stop without having to leave your RV! We find this very useful when quiet hours arrive and we don’t want to get out of bed.
- Recommended Inverter/Generator: Champion 3500-Watt Remote-Start Inverter.
- Price: $949.99
- Apple TV connector
- Why we like it: Now that most cell carriers provide some sort of unlimited streaming, we prefer to connect our cell phone to the TV instead of relying on a satellite or even campground cable. This connector connects to your iPhone charging port, then to an HDMI cable (sold separately) that connects to the TV. It also has a charging port so you can be charging your phone while it is feeding the image to the TV. It’s a great way to binge watch your favorite shows on the big screen!
- Where to buy: Amazon – (Apple MFi Certified) Lightning to HDMI
- Price: $19.99
- Weboost Drive Sleek
- Why we like it: We love the solitude of the open road… but we also love our internet. Trying to rely on campground internet is a losing battle, so we tether our cell phones. The weboost Drive Sleek improves cell reception up to 32x, which we have tested and can attest to! If you are in an area with very little service, this booster can change the game and save the day. We chose the Sleek model so that we can attach it to our truck while we’re driving, and then move to the fifth wheel upon arrival. We also like that the Drive Sleek is much more affordable than the other weboost products, and seems to work just as well without any permanent mounting required. (One note: The magnetic mount no longer works on our new F350 made out of aluminum.)
- Price: $199.99
- Tineco Cordless vacuum
- Why we like it: A clean RV is a happy RV. We used to rely on a crappy little plug in vac, before seeing a deal on Amazon to purchase a cordless vac with amazing ratings and reviews. It is light, doesn’t require AC power, and doesn’t suck (because it does!). It is very easy to disassemble and pack into your cabinets for travel.
- Recommended cordless vacuum: Tineco A10 Hero Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
- Price: $169.99
- Outland Firebowl Propane Gas Fire Pit
- Why we like it: There is nothing cozier that circling up around a fire with your loved ones and a good drink. While we enjoy making real fires occasionally, they are a lot of work, wood is expensive, many times open fires are banned, and our clothes reek of smoke afterwards. But with the Outland Firebowl, we can have a fire blazing in just minutes without any of the downsides! And this fire pit is more than just aesthetic—it puts off 58,000 BTU, which is a good amount of heat. We’ve used it on chilly fall and winter evenings to stay warm. You can even roast marshmallows over it!
- Recommended fire pit: Outland Firebowl 893 Deluxe Outdoor Portable Propane Gas Fire Pit with Cover & Carry Kit, 19-Inch Diameter 58,000 BTU
- Price: $103.99
- Dash Rapid Egg Cooker
- Why we like it: Hard boiled eggs make a delicious breakfast (we like them warm!) or a great refrigerated snack for later. But getting a large pot of water boiling in the RV, then running it for 12-15 minutes while your eggs boil takes a good amount time, hassle and propane. The Dash Rapid Egg Cooker plugs in and gives you perfectly boiled eggs in just minutes. And I mean PERFECTLY boiled. You can decide how well you want them cooked: soft, medium or hard, and then rely on consistent results every time.
- Recommended egg cooker: Dash 6 Egg Capacity Electric Egg Cooker for Hard Boiled Eggs, Poached Eggs, Scrambled Eggs, or Omelets with Auto Shut Off
- Price: $14.99
- Keurig K-Mini Coffee Maker
- Why we like it: This one probably needs no sales pitch, but it is such an essential item in our RV that I felt remiss not to mention it. Fresh morning coffee is one of our favorite things, and this Keurig K-Mini is small and sleek. It serves only one cup at a time, and is very easy to hide in a cabinet when you aren’t using it. The reason we recommend Keurig specifically is because you can always find pods at Walmart.
- Recommended Keurig: Keurig K-Mini Coffee Maker, Single Serve K-Cup Pod Coffee Brewer
- Price: $66.80
- Why we like it: One of my favorite morning rituals is to make a cup of fresh coffee, then spread out on the couch to see what cool and unique attractions are nearby. The Offbeat Attractions book has led to some very interesting finds! Complete with gorgeous full color photos, maps and interesting editorial, this is a must have travel book for every RVer.
- Where to buy it: Amazon
- Price: $20.83
- Harvest Hosts Membership
- Why we like it: When my wife and I started RVing 6 years ago, we hadn’t heard of Harvest Hosts. After discovering the program, it completely changed the way we RV. Staying overnight at gorgeous wineries and farms never gets old, and makes our trips a lot more memorable. As the saying goes, we liked the company so much we bought it!
- Where to buy it: Join page
- Price: $99 per year for unlimited overnight stays at any of our Harvest Hosts locations. [NOTE: Use Harvest Hosts coupon code MUSTHAVE to save 15% on your membership.]
I hope these accessories will make your RV lifestyle a little easier and a lot more fun like they did for us! Please let us know in the comments if we are missing any must have items!
Learn More About Harvest Hosts
We promise not to spam you!